Silicone or saline? That is the question that many women on the market for a breast augmentation face. When weighing the options, there have always been strong arguments for both sides. Thanks to new technology, the future of breast augmentation is here with a new implant that has the best of both worlds.
Up until five years ago, the salt water filled implant (saline) has been the preferred implant. The standard silicone implant has since returned to favor, but there has always been that lingering doubt of what happens if it leaks.
Saline Implant Benefits:
- Non-toxic in the event of leakage since it is filled with salt water.
- Size can be varied by merely adding more fluid to enlarge it.
Saline Implant Drawbacks:
- Does not feel natural.
- Tends to reveal itself more by producing ridges on the breast.
- Higher chance of leakage.
Over the past five years, many of my patients have chosen the silicone-filled implant because it does feel much more natural, and it tends to not show the ridges beneath the skin that the saline implant does. Nonetheless, it still causes some concerns if there was leakage, and the silicone was to leak into the breast tissue.
Currently, I feel the saline-filled implant and the standard silicone gel filled implants will be obsolete within the next two years. This is due to the current availability of the revolutionary high tension, gel implant – AKA the “Gummy Bear” implant. The term is coined from the fact that when cut in half, the breast implants are able to retain their shape with no leakage, similar to the popular gummy bear candies.
The benefits of the “Gummy Bear” implant are so pronounced that it has become my implant of choice.
“Gummy Bear” Implant BENEFITS:
• Smaller chance of a leakage of gel into the body if a rupture is to occur.
• Natural feel, similar to the gel-filled implant.
• Multiple shapes and sizes offered.
• Cost is very comparable to the standard gel-filled implant.
• Some studies suggest that there may be less of a chance of scarring around the “Gummy Bear” implant.
With these suggestions and information in mind, it is important to remember that a consult with your plastic surgeon is highly recommended to determine your personalized needs. Highly recommend the two links below for more information on the Breast Augmentation Procedure.