Q: I’m totally confused after two consultations for the Tummy Tuck procedure: one physician suggested liposuction during the procedure and the other said this can cause problems. Also, will I need a vertical scar during the procedure?
A: Regarding Liposuction with the Tummy Tuck:
- Many feel that liposuction in the upper abdominal area during a tummy tuck can cause poor healing issues above the pubic area.
- Many physicians are willing to do some limited liposuction in the upper abdominal area in a healthy non-smoking patient.
- I prefer limited liposuction above and more aggressive fat removal at the waist with the possibility of a small in office liposuction procedure done down the road if necessary.
Regarding the need of a vertical scar from the umbilicus to the pubic area:
- In the vast majority of patients I feel a vertical scar is not necessary.
- The patient that may benefit is one that has lost a considerable amount of weight and has skin laxity from top to bottom as well as side to side.